Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Grand Canyon, Las Vegas Road Trip: June 30th, 2008

By the time we started driving on I40, my eyes were becoming foggy. I decided to increase my speed from a speed-limit induced 65mph to a break neck 90mph. I didn't hold out long though. Around 2am, we stopped for gas in Kingsman, AZ.


Rohit and I were debating whether we should continue on route towards our campground, or if we should spend the night somewhere closer. We drove by one of the local motels, the Arizona Inn, and Rohit got out to talk to the innkeeper. He came back and told me it would cost $39 + tax to spend the night. We proceeded to get gas, and then had a makeshift dinner of fruits, vegetables, and peanut butter across the street from the Chevron gas station. Although we could’ve stayed at the gas station to eat our food, there were too many bugs around, so we headed over to the jack-in-the-box parking lot across the street.

After we finished our food, the decision to sleep in Kingsman was final, and we drove back to the Arizona Inn.



The hotel was nice; it wasn't fancy by any means, but the sheets were clean, it was air-conditioned, and of course it was very cheap!

The following morning I made peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for breakfast. I also made some bagel sandwiches so that Rohit & I would have something to eat a few hours later.












We continued on our journey and finally got to Williams, AZ.



We walked around a bit and ate some pizza. Then waited in some really annoying traffic on the way to the Kaibab National Forest, to set up our campsite at TEN-X campground.



After setting up our campground and gathering some firewood & pine cones, we drove about 5 minutes to the nearby town of Tusayan, to find out where the showers were, and discover the different stores in town. The showers were right behind the general store in the RV Camper Village compound. To take a shower, all I had to do was insert 6 quarters, and I was instantly given 6 minutes of shower time. I would deposit more quarters at any time, and would be given another minute for each quarter deposited.

That evening we barbequed a lot and went to sleep...




No comments: